Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Zebra Time: McCall's 5926

I am on a sewing rampage!

This is a 1961 pattern of a simple sheath dress. I like the shape of the dress, although if I make it again, I will slim the skirt down to a more pencil-like shape. I was worried I would look like a sausage, since this one is a size 10. I made it for work though, and I rarely sit down while teaching, so if it turned out snug at the waist, that's fine. However it fits, and if anything, the shoulders and hips are a little big.


From my freecycle loot!


The fabric is really cool- a zebra look, but in beige and dark grey, so it's neutral.

Overall, I like it and I would make this pattern again. I guess it has about 2" of ease, which is reasonable. I like the look- to me, it looks like I could have bought it at Banana Republic for 200 bucks. Ha! I would say it took 3-4 hours to make, including cutting. Super fast!

The droop in the back is the little tuck for walking comfortably. I just need to press it after hemming, so the pleat will return.

3 comments:

  1. You have a good eye for what looks good on you. Nice pattern. I always wonder about the ease on some patterns. And the waist measurements on vintage patterns seem to run small. This would make a nice Little Black Dress too. Add the jacket for an evening look. lots of potential here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic on you. Good job!

    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!