Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Awesome bird in backyard!!


This bird was eating bugs in the backyard and it was gigantic! After google imaging waterbirds from the Audubon Institute website, I thought it was a bittern. Then I found this website where you can search by different parts of the bird and it narrows it down bit by bit. www.whatabird.com It's really cool!

So it said it's an American Bittern, which is a waterbird that likes freshwater wetlands. I bet it gets its food from all the swamps and ponds in City Park.

I took this through the window so I wouldn't scare it. It's body is maybe a foot long, and then it's neck and legs make it two feet tall.

I went out the door and it went up in the tree because I am scary.
Andrew had told me that he saw a giant nest a block away on a dog walk. Maybe this is the bird!

3 comments:

  1. Very neat bird and photos, keep T-Rex close you don't want to find him up a tree in a giant bird nest! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly! I really enjoy your blog, and can't tell you how happy I am that you've identified these birds for me. I used to live Uptown on the corner of Palmer and Willow and there were a handful of these guys living in a tree in our yard. I was terrified of them. Glad to see they are actually birds and not aliens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I've never seen a bird like this before! Please keep posting LA wildlife! I don't see anything quite that exotic around SF. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!