Monday, April 29, 2013

Leapingly Lovely Leggins

Since I had leftover knit from my Renfrew I just made, I decided to try out my legging pattern, McCalls 6173. There are two versions: one with side seams and one where the leg is all one piece. I made the second. I bought this on sale at Jo-Anns for 99 centimes.
I declined to read the instructions, of course. I am TOOOO smart for that! (You see where this leads...) So then, since there was no waistband piece, I just folded it down over the elastic and stitched. Then I went to try them on and OH my god I looked like a recent entry on "people of walmart"!!! They were soooo indecently low and made quite the magnificent muffin top. I took some pictures to show Andrew later for laughs and then ripped it all out. I then made a normal waistband and they look fine. 

I modeled them for with my matching shirt for dramatic effect:
 I made an extra small and they are too tight. I foresee blowing out a seam in the near future. Also the back does not accommodate my butt and when I sit it slides down too much.
 I think next time I will try the other version with side seams and see if that fits better...
 So that pattern was a dollar, the fabric was a gift and I already had the elastic, so let's say the leggings cost $1. Nice!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like pajamas! Ninja pajamas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheheh you're hilarious babe.
    GReat pics :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwah ha ha! Stealth ninja!
    I had problems with the fit of this pattern (which cost 17 clams in Australia!) and in the end used an etsy blog tute to draft my own pattern. I'm keen to see your next version! (and another puppy photo bomb!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made that pattern (according to the finished measurements and everything) and they came out too big which seemed to be the problem everyone else had. Love that you paired it with the matching top, you're so funny! They actually look like a really comfy pajama set.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!