Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Nursery is Complete!!

Now, I know that Max is 18 months old now...but we just finished his room! We painted it light green before he was born and I painted some art for him while I was pregnant since I was a long-term sub for an art teacher and my students were painting, too. 

The walls are a light green that is really hard to photograph. When we were in Oregon recently, my mom and I chose some fabric for the curtains. I got it at Jo-Ann because I wanted to use a coupon. I needed ten yards and didn't want to spend a fortune. We chose one with a white background and baby animals. The green in the curtains matches the walls. 


Fabric close-up:


I made three panels for each window and they turned out fine. There are Ikea shades behind them, but we couldn't get ones that matched the width of the windows exactly, so some light comes in on the sides. The curtains have solved that problem and also make the room look a lot more "finished". 

 The curtains also match the quilt my mom made for Max. The quilt has lions, monkeys and giraffes on it and it is super cute. Max likes to point to the monkey and make oh oh ah ah noises now.


Mom also made him a bunting with his name on it, too. Which is also super cute! 

 Here is my "artwork". While they are cute and I am reasonably okay at drawing and painting, I did not come up with any of these ideas myself. Just to be totally clear- I found all of the images on Etsy searching for "baby art" and then drew them by hand, made a few changes and then painted them. I will put my inspiration as a link under each one, if I can find it



Inspiration
 I regret having made it appear that the fox is floating in the air. I also changed the birds to robins because that is my mom's name.

Inspiration

Inspiration
 This is the worst painting and I did a terrible job cutting the mat. Measure once, cut seventeen times because I can't make straight lines with the exacto knife.
It was similar to this one
 This one is my grand oeuvre, my masterpiece!
Inspiration by Silvia Portella
I made a few changes: hamster to hibou, Ingrid to igloo, mouton to Maxwell (obvi!!), Xavier to xylophone, and Zoulou (which seemed weird/a little racist to me) to zebre. Other than that, it was super cute and I tried my best to imitate it. 

So that's Max's room and I am really happy with how it turned out!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Bedroom Curtains!

We have lived in our apartment for five years now and it was time to make some new curtains. The old ones were meant to be temporary, as there were no blinds or any kind when we moved in. It was pretty awful and didn't block out all of the light; I should have made new ones sooner.

 It's just two panels the width of the cotton I bought on sale at Jo-Ann. Max likes birds and always says "a biwd" in his tiny little voice, so I thought he would like these. The old ones were black and blocked out a lot of light, but the black fabrics all had ugly prints.This one is grey. 
 I added ribbon ties on each side, so you can pull them back if needed. 
 The print is cute, but nothing amazing. I just want to wrap up some projects before I go back to work next Monday and all my energy and free time disappears!
I have a lot of projects to post, but I need to take some pictures of them!